Home-sharing is a creative living agreement between compatible homemates. Shared homes come in all forms, and can be a stable, enriching experience for many.
Share Your Home
As a homeowner or renter, turn an available room in your home into an opportunity for income and new social connections.
Find Your Home
As someone seeking a shared home, benefit from affordable housing in the community you love, plus the option to help with household activities, for an even more affordable rent.
Magic in the Match
Home Match connects matches based on lifestyle and interests to help ensure compatibility, giving you and your match the best chance for success. Plus participation is free.
Our thorough screening process —including interviews, home visits, background checks, and an extensive application—saves you time and worry.
Our knowledgeable local staff help you design a comprehensive Living Together Agreement. You will also have access to our counseling and mediation services, even after move-in day.
Home-Sharing Topics for Reflection
1. Sharing Space
● How sensitive are you to your surroundings?
● How sensitive are you to other people’s moods, personalities, or preferences?
2. Past Experiences
● Have you shared a home in the past, perhaps with family or friends?
● What did you enjoy about those experiences?
● What caused you concern during those experiences?
● What outcomes do you hope to achieve, through home-sharing?
● What other options are you considering to meet your desired outcomes, besides home-sharing?
● What type of dynamic are you looking for with a homemate?
● What are your preferred communication styles?
● How comfortable do you feel expressing your expectations to a homemate?
● Are you open to compromise?
● How do you prefer to address problems and find solutions when disagreements arise?
As a Community Service of Covia, Home Match is an innovative home-sharing program with lasting community impact. A trusted nonprofit organization, Covia has provided housing and services to older adults across the Bay Area for more than 50 years.
Home Match began in 2012 with a pilot program in Marin County, where there is a high concentration of older adults and one of the nation’s highest housing costs. Following the pilot’s success, Covia expanded Home Match to serve San Francisco in 2015, in partnership with Sequoia Living and with funding from the San Francisco Mayor’s Office of Housing & Community Development (SFMOHCD). In mid-2020, Covia and Sequoia Living decided to transition into an unofficial partnership, defined by mutual support and cross-referrals.
Working with local community groups and in-kind office space from the City of Concord, Home Match then launched in Contra Costa County in 2017. Home Match programs in Marin County, San Francisco, and Contra Costa County are now also supported by a broad coalition of partners working together to help create affordable and stable housing for Bay Area residents, including the SFMOHCD, City of Fremont, Wells Fargo and the City of Concord.
When HIP Housing (the 30+ year home-sharing leader in San Mateo County) looked for a partner to hand off their pilot in Fremont in 2018, Home Match stepped in. The City of Fremont also contributed funding to keep this important initiative going. With support from the Area Agency on Aging, the Community Foundation for Monterey County, Monterey Peninsula Foundation (host of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am), municipalities, foundations, and fellow nonprofit organizations, Covia launched Home Match in Monterey County in the fall of 2020.